Friday 29 February 2008

Old Mum Returns To School

“Dear Aunt Aggie, what should I do? I am a young-looking 45 year-old thinking of returning to full time education to finally finish my degree in nursing. But my teenage children are embarrassed at the prospect of having their mum attend the same college! My daughter says she'll 'just die' if her friends see her mum there! But I really want to go, how can I convince my kids to be OK with it?”from Edina in Edinburgh, 45

Loving Aunt Aggie replies: Children can be a real headache can't they? You will simply have to be firm with them and let them know it's your life, not theirs and that you can do as you please!

After all, in a few short years your children will all have made new lives for themselves, never giving you a second thought, especially as you deserted them in their formative years at the most important time in their lives – at a time when they needed you most, and you should have been at home caring for them properly – instead of galavanting around, titivating yourself up, trying to look younger than you really are so you can attract younger men at the college.

It'll serve you right when your family no longer wants anything to do with you for neglecting them for some worthless college degree. Besides, by the time it takes you at YOUR age to digest all that studying, you'll be much too old to find employment – which is what you deserve, you selfish woman!

Aunt Aggie © 2008