Thursday 6 March 2008

Lonely in New Neighbourhood

“Dear Aunt Aggie, please tell me what you would do. I have been in my lovely new middle-class neighbourhood now for three months, yet no-one has time to speak to me more than a minute or invite me in for coffee. Whenever I try to get to know someone they find an excuse. I really feel like moving again. What do you suggest?”from Winfreda in Whitley Bay

Loving Aunt Aggie replies: How absolutely awful for you! Those stuck-up snobs! The fact that you have tried to get to know people and failed is most likely due to the posh area you chose to live in, where the residents are so toffee-nosed that they look down on any newcomers.

However, I think you should admit to yourself that the real crux of the matter is that you show yourself up, since I suspect you came from a run-down slum area (Sunderland, perhaps?) and that your dialect and dress leave a lot to be desired! It's a well known fact that your sort have either a body odour or hallitosis problem, and also very likely an incontinence problem.

I really think you would be better off moving back to where you belong, and leaving the respectable hard-working middle-class people in peace. The last thing they want to put up with is some meddling old fishwife bringing down the property prices.

Aunt Aggie © 2008